BASICS & CREATION
Adding New Abilities
- A creator can add new magical abilities to a magic item with no restrictions.
Charges, Doses, And Multiple Uses
- Many items, particularly wands and staffs, are limited in power by the number of charges they hold.
Creating Magic Armor
- To create magic armor, a character needs a heat source and some iron, wood, or leatherworking tools.
Creating Magic Items
- To create magic items, spellcasters use special feats.
- When multiplying spell levels to determine value, 0- level spells should be treated as 1/2 level.
Multiple Different Abilities
- Abilities such as an attack roll bonus or saving throw bonus and a spell-like...
Multiple Similar Abilities
- For items with multiple similar abilities that don't take up space on a...
- Once you have a final cost figure, reduce that number if either of the...
Table: Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values
Table: Summary Of Magic Item Creation Costs
Creating Magic Weapons
- To create a magic weapon, a character needs a heat source and some iron, wood, or leatherworking tools.
- The creator of a potion needs a level working surface and at least a few...
- To create a magic ring, a character needs a heat source.
- To create a magic rod, a character needs a supply of materials, the most...
- To create a scroll, a character needs a supply of choice writing materials,...
- To create a magic staff, a character needs a supply of materials, the most...
- To create a magic wand, a character needs a small supply of materials,...
Creating Wondrous Items
- To create a wondrous item, a character usually needs some sort of equipment or tools to work on the item.
- Some items are cursed-incorrectly made, or corrupted by outside forces.
Damaging Magic Items
- A magic item doesn't need to make a saving throw unless it is unattended,...
Intelligent Item Creation
- To create an intelligent item, a character must have a caster level of 15th or higher.
- Some magic items, particularly weapons, have an intelligence all their own.
Magic Item Descriptions
- Each general type of magic item gets an overall description, followed by descriptions of specific items.
Table: Random Magic Item Generation
Magic Items I (Basics & Creation)
- Magic items are divided into categories: armor, weapons, potions, rings, rods, scrolls, staffs, wands, and wondrous items.
Armor And Shields
- Magic armor (including shields) offers improved, magical protection to the wearer.
- A potion is an elixir concocted with a spell-like effect that affects only the drinker.
- A ring is a circular metal band worn on the finger (no more than two rings...
- A rod is a scepter-like item with a special power unlike that of any known spell.
- A scroll is a spell magically inscribed onto paper or parchment so that it can be used later.
- A staff has a number of different (but often related) spell effects.
- A wand is a short stick imbued with the power to cast a specific spell.
- Magic weapons are created with a variety of combat powers and almost always...
- These objects include magic jewelry, tools, books, clothing, and much more.
Magic Items And Detect Magic
- When detect magicidentifies a magic item's school of magic, this information...
Magic Items On The Body
- Many magic items need to be donned by a character who wants to employ them or benefit from their abilities.
- Masterwork items are extraordinarily well-made items.
Repairing Magic Items
- Some magic items take damage over the course of an adventure.
Saving Throws Against Magic Item Powers
- Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against...
Size And Magic Items
- When an article of magic clothing or jewelry is discovered, most of the time size shouldn't be an issue.
Armor And Weapon Sizes
- Armor and weapons that are found at random have a 30% chance of being Small...
- To use a magic item, it must be activated, although sometimes activation simply means putting a ring on your finger.
- If no activation method is suggested either in the magic item description...
- This is the activation method for scrolls. A scroll is a spell that is mostly finished.
- Spell trigger activation is similar to spell completion, but it's even simpler.
- This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it.
This material is Open Game Content, and is licensed for public use under the terms of the
Open Game License v1.0a
Compilation, formatting and oranization by