- Sometimes a character tries to do something to which no specific skill applies.
Acquiring Skill Ranks
- Ranks indicate how much training or experience a character has with a given skill.
Table: Skill Points Per Level
- In some situations, characters can cooperate to accomplish a given task.
Checks Without Rolls
- A skill check represents an attempt to accomplish some goal, usually in the face of time pressure or distraction.
- Some checks are made against a Difficulty Class (DC).
Table: Difficulty Class Examples
Favorable And Unfavorable Conditions
- Some situations may make a skill easier or harder to use, resulting in...
- At each level, a character gets skill points that are used to buy skills.
Modifier Types And Stacking
- A modifier provides a bonus (a positive modifier) or a penalty (a negative modifier) to a die roll.
- Some skill checks are opposed checks. They are made against a randomized...
Table: Example Opposed Checks
- Unlike with attack rolls and saving throws, a natural roll of 20 on the...
- Sometimes, the GM may decide that having one skill provides a bonus when a character uses another skill in certain situations.
- When a character is not being threatened or distracted, he or she may choose to take 10.
- When a character has plenty of time, is faced with no threats or distractions,...
Time And Skill Checks
- Using a skill might take a round, several rounds, or even longer.
- Some skill applications require the use of tools. If tools are needed,...
- If a character fails on a skill check, he or she can sometimes try again.
Untrained Skill Checks
- Generally, if a character attempts to use a skill he or she doesn't have...
- To make a skill check, roll: 1d20 + skill modifier ( Skill modifier = skill ranks + ability modifier + miscellaneous modifiers)
- The ability modifier used in the skill check is the modifier for the skill's...
- Miscellaneous modifiers include bonuses provided by feats and class features,...
- A character's ranks in a skill is based on the number of skill points the character has invested in the skill.
This material is Open Game Content, and is licensed for public use under the terms of the
Open Game License v1.0a
Compilation, formatting and oranization by